Books, Blogs, and Podcasts, Oh My!
Parenting Beyond Belief is a wonderful collection of essays on secular parenting from more than 25 parents, educators, scientists, and others. Conributors include Richard Dawkins, Julia Sweeney, Penn Jillette, and Michael Shermer. Dale McGowan, lead author and editor, ties the essays together into chapters covering topics such as fostering curiosity about the natural world, navigating the religious extended family, and finding freethinking community. There's even an essay about Camp Quest!
- Check out this great list of resources from Parenting Beyond Belief.
Raising Freethinkers by Dale McGowan, Molleen Matsumura, Amanda Metskas, and Jan Devor is a practical companion volume to Parenting Beyond Belief. This book features questions and answers, resources, and activities on topics ranging from promoting creativity to talking about death. Many chapters include activities that we use at Camp Quest.
- Here is a comprehensive list of resources mentioned in Raising Freethinkers.
Blogs, Podcasts, and Other Online Resources
Over the last few years a number of excellent blogs, podcasts, forums, and other online resources for freethinking parents have emerged. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Parents Beyond Belief - A group blog by leaders of local secular family groups around North America
- The Meming of Life: Secular Parenting and Other Natural Wonders - Blog by Dale McGowan, lead author and editor of Parenting Beyond Belief and Raising Freethinkers
- Science-based Parenting - A group blog by science-based, skeptically lnclined parents
- Parenting Within Reason - Parenting podcast produced by Foundation Beyond Belief
- Parenting Beyond Belief YouTube Channel - YouTube channel for Parenting Beyond Belief
- Parenting Beyond Belief Forums - Forums for secular parenting discussion provided by Parenting Beyond Belief
Start with these resources, and they will point you to a whole host of other books, blogs, podcasts, and other freethinking goodies.